The history of Canadel goes back to the Romans. The protective archeological excavations carried out before the construction of the cellar revealed an ancient Roman villa equipped with an oil press and wine cellars.
In later years, the estate belonged to the Abbey of Saint Victor de Marseille and then to the Counts of Provence until the end of the middle ages. At that time the hill was fashioned into terraces so that vineyards, olives and fruit tree orchards could be planted.
The 5 houses on the estate were built one after another between the 13th and 15th centuries. They are built like a little village around a chapel and the water canals that gave their name to the estate: successively “canal d’eau” or Canadeau, and then Canadel.
Between the 15th and 20th centuries Canadel changed owners 3 times but the estate has remained unchanged as shown in the deeds dating back to 1683 : “there are old and new vines and some olive trees (…). The land is arduous and sloping and sustained by numerous long strong walls whose maintenance is costly”.
After the epidemic of phylloxera which devastated French vineyards at the end of the 19th century, the estate was reconstituted and replanted, thanks to exchanges of plants with some of the large historic estates of Bandol. The grapes were grown for supply to the Ott estates.
In 2007 Jacques and Caroline de Chateauvieux fell in love with this earthly paradise and bought the estate with the intention of producing a Château Canadel wine and settling their family, returned from Reunion Island.
In 2009 they hand the running of the estate over to their daughter Laure Benoist, agricultural engineer, and her husband Vianney, agronomist and oenologist. Over a period of 5 years, they work on the estate and build a wine cellar so that a new Bandol estate is born.
In 2014, the first bottle of Château Canadel is produced.